Question of Palestine home
20 September 2000
Agenda item 114 (c)
Human rights questions: human rights situations and
reports of special rapporteurs and representatives
Human rights situation in southern Lebanon and western Bekaa
Note by the Secretary-General*
1. By its decision 2000/249 of 28 July 2000, the Economic and Social Council took note of Commission on Human Rights resolution 2000/16 of 18 April 2000 on the human rights situation in southern Lebanon and western Bekaa; and approved the Commission’s request to the Secretary-General to bring the resolution to the attention of the Government of Israel and to invite it to provide information concerning the extent of its implementation, and to report to the General Assembly at its fifty-fifth session on the results of his efforts in that regard.
2. In view of the requests formulated by the Commission in the resolution, the Secretary-General addressed a note verbale to the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Israel on 14 July 2000.
3. No reply had been received at the time of the preparation of the present note.
4. On 16 June 2000, the Secretary-General had reported to the Security Council (S/2000/590 and Corr.1) that the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon had completed the verification process, and confirmed that Israeli forces had withdrawn from Lebanon in compliance with Security Council resolution 425 (1978) and met the requirements defined by the Secretary-General.
* The present note was submitted after 5 July because of the need to await the decision of the Economic and Social Council.