Question of Palestine home
9 December 1988
Agenda item 37
QUESTION OF PALESTINE
Letter dated 9 December 1988 from the Permanent Observer of the Palestine Liberation Organization to the United Nations addressed to the Secretary-General
I have the honour to enclose herewith the resolution on the formation of the provisional Government of the State of Palestine adopted by the Palestine National Council at the conclusion of its meetings held at Algiers between 12 and 15 November 1988.
I should be grateful if you would have this letter and its annex circulated as an official document of the General Assembly under agenda item 37.
) Zuhdi Labib TERZI
Permanent Observer of the
Palestine Liberation Organization
to the United Nations
Declaration of the formation of the provisional Government of
the State of Palestine. 15 November 1988
The Palestine National Council, at its nineteenth extraordinary session, the session of the
, decides as follows:
1. A provisional Government shall be formed for the State of Palestine as soon as possible, in accordance with circumstances and the evolution of events.
2. The Central Council and the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization shall be empowered to appoint a time for the formation of the provisional Government, the Executive Committee shall be entrusted with its formation, and it shall be presented to the Central Council for a motion of confidence. The Central Council shall adopt the provisional system of government until such time as the Palestinian people exercises full sovereignty over the land of Palestine.
3. The provisional Government shall be composed of Palestinian leaders, notables and skilled human resources within the occupied homeland and outside, on the basis of political pluralism and in such a manner as to embody national unity.
4. The provisional Government shall draw up its programme on the basis of the instrument of independence, the political programme of the Palestine Liberation Organization and the resolutions of the national councils.
5. The Palestine National Council hereby entrusts the Executive Committee of the Palestine Liberation Organization with the powers and responsibilities of the provisional Government until such time as the formation of the Government is declared.
Adopted by the National Council at its extraordinary session at Algiers on 15 November 1988.
- - - - -