Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
The General Assembly,
Reaffirming the permanent responsibility of the United Nations with regard to the question of Palestine until it is solved in all its aspects, in accordance with international law,
Recalling the relevant rules and principles of international law, including international humanitarian and human rights law, particularly the Fourth Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War of 12 August 1949,1 which is applicable to the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem,
Expressing grave concern about the developments on the ground since the adoption of Security Council resolution 1860 (2009) on 8 January 2009, especially following the intensified military operations in the Gaza Strip, causing heavy casualties among civilians, including children and women, and the shelling of United Nations Headquarters, hospitals, media premises and public infrastructure, and emphasizing that the Palestinian and Israeli civilian populations must be protected and that their suffering must end,
Convinced that achieving a just, lasting and comprehensive settlement of the question of Palestine, the core of the Arab-Israeli conflict, is imperative for the attainment of comprehensive, just and lasting peace and stability in the Middle East,
1. Demands full respect for Security Council resolution 1860 (2009), including its urgent call for an immediate, durable and fully respected ceasefire, leading to the full withdrawal of Israeli forces from the Gaza Strip, and its call for the unimpeded provision and distribution throughout the Gaza Strip of humanitarian assistance, including of food, fuel and medical treatment;
2. Calls on all parties to exert all efforts to ensure, in cooperation with the Security Council, full and urgent compliance with resolution 1860 (2009);
3. Expresses its support for international and regional initiatives and efforts under way and for the mission undertaken by the Secretary-General of the United Nations;
4. Expresses its support for the extraordinary efforts by the United Nations agencies, particularly the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East, to provide emergency relief, medical and other humanitarian assistance to the Palestinian civilian population in the Gaza Strip;
5. Calls upon all Member States to urgently extend the necessary support to international and regional efforts aimed at alleviating the critical humanitarian and economic situation in the Gaza Strip, and emphasizes in this regard the need to ensure the sustained opening of border crossings for the free movement of persons and goods into and out of the Gaza Strip, in accordance with the Agreement on Movement and Access of 15 November 2005;
6. Decides to adjourn the tenth emergency special session temporarily and to authorize the President of the General Assembly at its most recent session to resume its meeting upon request from Member States.
1United Nations, Treaty Series, vol. 75, No. 973.