Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
1. During the evening of 22 July, OP Khiam reported artillery fire by
Israeli forces between 2258 and 2343 hours GMT and mortar fire by unidentified forces both north-east and north-west of the OP between 2317 and 2333 hours GMT. Impact areas were near the Armistice Demarcation Line (ADL) east of the village of Kfar Kela (AMR 2020-2980). 1/
2. A complaint was received from the Lebanese authorities alleging that between 2215 hours GMT on 22 July and 0045 hours GMT on 23 July, an Israeli force penetrated Lebanese territory in the village of Kfar Kela, exploded two houses with dynamite, wounding two persons, abducted seven Lebanese citizens and caused additional material damage.
3. At the request of the Lebanese authorities the Chief of Staff of UNTSO authorized an inquiry, which took place on 23 July. Accompanied by a representative of the senior Lebanese delegate to the Israel-Lebanon Mixed Armistice Commission, United Nations military observers interviewed witnesses at Kfar Kela and examined the evidence presented to them.
4. Witnesses stated that an Israel force of approximately 200 men entered the village at approximately 2230 hours GMT, searched houses, exploded one with dynamite, abducted seven citizens of the village and departed at approximately 2330 hours GMT. They also stated that two of the abducted men were slightly wounded and that one woman was severely wounded by grenade fragments during the incident.
5. The military observers saw at Kfar Kela one house destroyed and two houses damaged by recent explosion. They also saw grenade fragments and small-arms shell casings in the area.
6. Based on the findings of the inquiry, the complaint is confirmed in so far as the exploding of one house and damage to two houses is concerned.
1/ AMR - approximate map reference.