Question of Palestine home
World Health Organization (WHO)
25 June 2007
Health action in crises
Highlights No 162 – 18 to 25 June 2007
Each week, the World Health Organization Department for Health Action in Crises in Geneva produces information highlights on the health aspects of selected humanitarian crises. Drawing on the various WHO programmes, contributions cover activities from field and country offices and the support provided by WHO regional offices and Headquarters. The mandate of the WHO Departments specifically concerned with Emergency and Humanitarian Action in Crises is to increase the effectiveness of the WHO contribution to crisis preparedness and response, transition and recovery. This note, which is not exhaustive, is designed for internal use and does not reflect any official position of the WHO Secretariat.
OCCUPIED PALESTINIAN TERRITORY
Assessments and events:
• Since 15 June, violence has largely stopped; the MoH reports 135 dead and 487 wounded. Despite the relative calm, resumption of normal activities and humanitarian aid has slowed due to border closings.
• Currently all but one of Gaza’s hospitals are functioning but with immediate needs of fuel, laboratory supplies, drugs, and specialized vascular surgery equipment.
• At Erez crossing, 250 Gaza residents fleeing the new political environment have been camped out initially without basic services. Humanitarian aid is reported to be provided by various agencies.
• A WHO truck with 30 pallets of drugs and laboratory reagents arrived in Gaza on 19 June. At the urgent request of the MoH, WHO and UNFPA are procuring emergency anaesthetics and analgesic drugs expected to reach Ramallah next week.
• WHO convened an inter-agency/partners logistics meeting on 18 June to share information and coordinate action.
• Training on good manufacturing practices took place in Ramallah 16-21 June. A nutritional Training of Trainers about surveillance will take place on 24 June in Ramallah.
• In 2007, WHO’s emergency activities are funded by ECHO, Norway and Italy