Question of Palestine home
19 September 1986
Item 73 of the provisional agenda*
REPORT OF THE SPECIAL COMMITTEE TO INVESTIGATE
ISRAELI PRACTICES AFFECTING THE HUMAN RIGHTS
OF THE POPULATION OF THE OCCUPIED TERRITORIES
Report of the Secretary-General
(in pursuance of General Assembly resolution 40/161 F)
Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic.............................................................
Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic.............................................................
BYELORUSSIAN SOVIET SOCIALIST REPUBLIC
[31 July 1986]
1. The Byelorussian SSR unwaveringly supports and unswervingly upholds the General Assembly resolutions on the item entitled "Report of the Special Committee to Investigate Israeli Practices Affecting the Human Rights of the Population of the Occupied Territories".
2. Fully endorsing the flat condemnation of Israel's aggressive, expansionist policy and illegal practices in the occupied Arab territories which is voiced in these resolutions, the Byelorussian SSR considers that Israel's actions
the seized territories and the people living there constitute a gross violation of the 1949 Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, of the United Nations Charter, and of numerous decisions by the Security Council and General Assembly.
3. Furthermore, events in the Middle East in the recent past are clear evidence that Israel is resorting to barbarous means in an attempt to perpetuate its control over the occupied Arab lands and prevent the establishment of an independent State of Palestinian Arabs. In carrying out its bold, rapacious plans, showing open contempt for the norma1 standards of international order, Israel is totally dependent on the patronage and support of its "strategic ally", the United States of America, whose imperialist doctrine of "neo-globalism" is designed in part to subject the Arabs to its military/political diktat and block a comprehensive settlement to the Arab-Israeli conflict.
4. Accordingly, the Byelorussian SSR maintains no relations with Israel; in conformity with General Assembly resolution 40/161, it recognizes no changes made by Israel in the occupied Arab territories and engages in no action which might be used by Israel in its pursuit of the policies of annexation and colonization or other illegal activities in regard to these territories.
5. The Byelorussian SSR entirely supports the request by the General Assembly that the Security Council take steps to halt Israeli policies and practices in the occupied Arab territories which are obstructing the attainment of a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East.
6. The Byelorussian SSR considers that a just settlement to the Middle East problem can be achieved only on the basis of principle, with due regard for the legitimate interests of all the countries and peoples of the region, through honest, collective efforts at an international conference attended by all interested parties including the Palestine Liberation Organization, which is the sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people.
UKRAINIAN SOVIET SOCIALIST REPUBLIC
[13 August 1986]
1. The Ukrainian SSR resolutely condemns the aggressive and expansionist policy of Israel, which for nearly 20 years has been grossly and systematically violating basic human rights in the Arab territories occupied since 1967. Israel's actions are in flagrant violation of the elementary norms of civilized conduct of States and of the generally recognized principles of international law, in particular the basic provisions of the Charter of the United Nations, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War of 12 Acquit 1949. Israel is pursuing this policy with the direct support and protection of the United States and every year the policy is becoming more refined and cruel in nature.
2. The Ukrainian SSR believes that all the measures which are being taken by Israel to chance the physical character, demographic composition and organizational structure or status of the Palestinian and other Arab territories occupied since 1967, including Jerusalem, are null and void. Israel's policy and practice in settling groups of its population and new immigrants in these territories, and also any legislative and administrative actions aimed at changing their status, are a gross violation of the norms of international law and must be rescinded immediately.
3. Israel's cruel and illegal repression against the civilian population of the occupied territories, involving violence, torture, collective punishment, the destruction of homes and mass displacement and deportation of the population, is one of the serious obstacles to attaining a just and lasting peace in the Middle East.
4. The Ukrainian SSR believes that Israel's gross and mass violations of human rights in the occupied Arab territories can be eliminated only by ending the illegal occupation of these territories. The Ukrainian SSR therefore firmly advocates the full and unconditional withdrawal of Israeli troops from all Arab territories occupied since 1967, with the condition that the inalienable national rights of the people of Palestine be respected, including their right to self-determination and the establishment of their own independent State.
5. As a member of the United Nations Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People, the Ukrainian SSR actively and consistently participates in its work directed towards comprehensive support for the just struggle off the Arab peoples against the aggressive policy of Israel.
6. The Ukrainian SSR fully supports the resolutions of the United Nations condemning Israel's practices in the occupied Arab territories and calls on all States Members of the United Nations to take steps to put an end to Israel's