Question of Palestine home
Department of Public Information (DPI)
3 December 2012
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SPOKESPERSON’S NOON BRIEFING
BY MARTIN NESIRKY,
SPOKESPERSON FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL
MONDAY, 3 DECEMBER 2012
SECRETARY-GENERAL CONCERNED, DISAPPOINTED BY NEW SETTLEMENTS IN EAST JERUSALEM AND WEST BANK
issued on Sunday, the Secretary-General said that it was with grave concern and disappointment that he learned of Israel’s announcement of 3,000 new settlement units in East Jerusalem and other parts of the West Bank. This would include reported planning in the so-called E-1 envelope, which risks completely cutting off East Jerusalem from the rest of the West Bank.
Settlements are illegal under international law and, should the E-1 settlement be constructed, it would represent an almost fatal blow to remaining chances of securing a two-state solution.
The Secretary-General repeats his call on all concerned to resume negotiations and intensify efforts towards a comprehensive, just and lasting peace and urges the parties to refrain from provocative actions. In the interests of peace, any plans for E-1 must be rescinded.
Asked if the Secretary-General had been in contact with Israel to convey his view, the Spokesperson said that the statement conveyed his thoughts clearly.
He added that the UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East, Robert Serry, was on the ground in Jerusalem and had frequent contact with Israeli authorities.