Question of Palestine home
24 September 1999
Agenda item 116 (b)
Human rights questions: human rights questions,
including alternative approaches for improving the
effective enjoyment of human rights and fundamental
United Nations Decade for Human Rights Education
1995-2004, and public information activities in the field
of human rights
Report of the Secretary-General
1. The present report, submitted in response to General Assembly resolution 53/153 is composed of three sections. Sections II and III refer to the implementation of the Plan of Action for the United Nations Decade for Human Rights Education 1995-2004 and public information activities in the field of human rights undertaken by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights. Section IV refers to public information activities in the field of human rights undertaken by the Department of Public Information of the United Nations Secretariat.
IV. Activities of the Department of Public Information
59. Besides its mandate in the area of human rights, the Department carries out mandated programmes in such related areas as social, cultural and economic rights, the rights of specific groups, and other major issues including,
, the question of Palestine, self-determination, decolonization and the advancement of women. The Department'
s related activities are reported to the General Assembly on a regular basis and to other intergovernmental bodies in connection with each specific area or issue.
H. United Nations information centres and services
1. United Nations Information Service at Geneva
85. The United Nations Information Service at Geneva has a special role to play in promoting human rights, given its presence at the same duty station as the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, the Commission on Human Rights and its Subcommission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights, and most of the sessions of the six treaty bodies.
94. Besides the series of events that culminated in the special observance of Human Rights Day in 1998, the Information Service at Geneva continued to take the lead in organizing commemorations of other related international days at the Palais des Nations, namely, the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, 17 October; the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People, 29 November; International Women's Day, 8 March; the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, 21 March; and the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples, 9 August.