Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
The Chief of Staff of UNTSO has submitted the following report on developments in the Israel-Lebanon sector during July 1976.
1. Ground activity remained at a low level while air activity decreased during the period.
2. Israel forces personnel continued to occupy daily, during daylight hours, five positions on the Lebanese side of the armistice demarcation line (ADL) near border pillars 11 (AMR 1799-2788), 1/ l4 (AMR 1838-2734) (except on 3, 4, 11-13, 20, 26-29 and 31 July), 18 (AMR 1880-2740) (except on 13 and l6 July), 19 (AMR 1907-2749) (except on l6 July) and 33 (AMR 2004-2904).
3. There were three cases of firing across the ADL and one case of firing across or within Lebanese territorial waters, as well as two crossing violations. These were reported as follows:
(a) OP Lab (AMR 1643-2772), south of the village of Labouna, reported automatic weapons fire by unidentified forces on 4 July and automatic weapons and mortar fire by Israel forces on 28 July.
(b) OP Hin (AMR 1770-2790), east of the village of Marouahine, reported small-arms fire by Israel forces on 18 July.
(c) Waqoura outstation (AMR 1629-2805) on the coast near the village of Naqpura reported automatic weapons fire by an Israel forces naval vessel on 17 July. Additionally, it was reported that Israel forces naval vessels penetrated Lebanese territorial waters on 17 and 22 July (maximum penetrations 3,000 metres).
4. There were 23 overflights reported during the period. Overflights by Israel forces jet aircraft were reported on 3, 4, 6-8, 10, 12, l4, l6, 18, 21, 22, 25 and 28-31 July (one each day) and on 1, 9 and 23 July (two each day).
5. The Lebanese authorities submitted six complaints during the period under review as follows:
(a) Four complaints concerned Israel forces jet aircraft overflights on 11 and 28 July (one complaint each day) and on 15 July (two complaints). One of these complaints was confirmed.
(b) One complaint was submitted alleging that Israel forces penetrated Lebanese territory in the vicinity of Ed-Dhaira (AMR 1708-2789) on 7 July. The complaint was not confirmed.
(c) In addition, one complaint was submitted with a request that an inquiry into it be conducted by United Nations military observers (see para. 6 below).
6. This complaint alleged that during the morning of 15 July a mechanized Israel force penetrated Lebanese territory in the vicinity of Aalma Ech Ghaab (AMR 1675-2786) and set up an observation post. At the request of the Lebanese authorities, the Chief of Staff of UNTSO authorized an inquiry, which took place on 20 July. The inquiry team observed a tent, one wheeled truck, five military personnel and a small quantity of supplies in a concertina-surrounded compound in the vicinity of border pillar 6 (AMR 1680-2770), north of the ADL. The complaint was confirmed. Subsequently, Israel forces personnel were observed during daylight hours, occupying this position on 28, 29 and 30 July. United Nations military observers will continue to keep the situation at that position under observation.
1/ AMR - approximate map reference.