Question of Palestine home
Convention d'armistice générale entre la Syrie et Israël/Annexe II - Communication du médiateur de l'ONU
20 July 1949
ISRAELI-SYRIAN GENERAL ARMISTICE AGREEMENT
together with detailed description of the Armistice Demarcation Line.*
WITHDRAWAL OF MILITARY AND PARA-MILITARY FORCES; REMOVAL OF MINES AND DESTRUCTION OF PERMANENT FORTIFICATIONS
1. The withdrawal of military and para-military forces of both parties with all of their military impediments from the demilitarized zone, as defined by Article 5 of this Agreement, shall be completed within a period of twelve (12) weeks from the date of the signing of this Agreement.
2. Schedule of withdrawal of forces will be as follows:
(a) First three (3) weeks, the military forces occupying the sector from the Syrian-Palestinian border at the north - south to Ad Darbishiya (MR 211 - 277)
(b) Second three (3) weeks, the military forces occupying the sector from El Hammam (MR 208.7 - 262.3) south to the Trans-Jordan frontier.
(c) Remaining six (6) weeks, the military forces occupying the sector from Ad Darbishiya (MR 211 - 277) south to El Hammam (MR 208.7 - 262.3).
3. Removal of minefields and mines, and the destruction or removal of permanent fortifications in the demilitarized zone shall be completed in each sector by the end of the third, sixth and twelfth week respectively from the date of the signing of this Agreement.
4. In this connexion, each Party Is entitled to remove from the demilitarized zone its war material. In case it does not choose to remove material used in fortifications, the Chairman of the Mixed. Armistice Commission may request either side to destroy such material before leaving the area. The Chairman of the Mixed Armistice Commission may similarly order the destruction of such permanent fortifications which, in his view, ought not to remain it the demilitarized zone.
No military forces other than those defined in Annex IV will be authorized to remain or enter the area defined below:
(a) On the Syrian side, the area from the boundary to the north - south co-ordinate line 226.
(b) On the Israeli side, the area from the Israeli truce line to the north - south co-ordinate line 204, except that where the truce line is established in the Nishmar Bay Yorden salient, the defensive area shall be at a distance of six (6) kilometres west from this truce line.
(c) Villages which are crossed by the lines defining the defensive area shall be entirely included in the defensive area.
DEFINITION OF DEFENSIVE FORCES
1. These forces not to exceed:
(a) Three (3) Infantry Battalions, each Battalion to consist of not more than 600 officers and enlisted men, its accompanying weapons not to exceed twelve (12) medium machine-guns (M.M.G's) of a caliber not to exceed 8 mm., six (6) 8l mm. mortars, four (4) anti tank guns not to exceed 75 mm.
(b) Six (6) Cavalry Squadrons for Syrian forces, each squadron not to exceed 130 officers and enlisted men; and for Israeli, two (2) Reconnaissance Squadrons, each squadron composed of nine (9) Jeeps, and three (3) half-trucks (not armoured), its personnel not to exceed one hundred twenty-five (l25) officers and enlisted men.
(c) Three (3) Field Artillery Batteries, each Battery not to exceed 110 officers and enlisted man. Each battery to consist of four (4) guns of a caliber not to exceed 75 mm. and four (4) machine guns (M.M.G's) not to exceed 8 mm.
(d) Service units to the above forces not to exceed one hundred (l00) officers and enlisted men for supply purposes, not armed.
(e) One (l) engineer company not to exceed two hundred and fifty (250) officers und enlisted men.
2. The following are excluded from the term "Defensive Forces": armour, such as tanks, armoured care, or any other armoured force carriers.
In the areas where Defensive Forces only shall be allowed, the use of military aircraft shall be prohibited.
No naval force shall be allowed in the Defensive Area.
IV. In the areas in which Defensive Forces only have to be maintained, the necessary reduction of forces shall be completed within twelve (12) weeks from the date on which this Agreement is signed.
V. No traffic restriction is imposed on the transport used for the carrying of defensive troops and. supplies within the area of defensive forces.
* This annex will be published upon receipt at Headquarters.