Question of Palestine home
23 December 1993
Agenda item 130 (a)
FINANCING OF THE UNITED NATIONS PEACE-KEEPING FORCES IN THE
MIDDLE EAST: UNITED NATIONS DISENGAGEMENT OBSERVER FORCE
Report of the Fifth Committee
: Mr. Mahbub KABIR (Bangladesh)
1. At its 3rd plenary meeting, on 24 September 1993, the General Assembly, on the recommendation of the General Committee, decided to include in the agenda of its forty-eighth session the item entitled:
"Financing of the United Nations peace-keeping forces in the Middle East:
"(a) United Nations Disengagement Observer Force"
and to allocate it to the Fifth Committee.
2. At its 44th and 46th meetings, on 19 and 22 December 1993, the Fifth Committee considered the report of the Secretary-General on the financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (A/C.5/48/40) and the related report of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (A/48/769). Statements and observations made in the course of the Committee's consideration of the item are reflected in the relevant summary records (A/C.5/48/SR.44 and 46).
II. CONSIDERATION OF DRAFT DECISION A/C.5/48/L.15
3. At the 46th meeting, on 22 December, the representative of Japan introduced a draft decision entitled "Financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force" (A/C.5/48/L.15).
4. At the same meeting, the Committee adopted draft decision A/C.5/48/L.15 without a vote (see para. 5).
III. RECOMMENDATION OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE
5. The Fifth Committee recommends to the General Assembly the adoption of the following draft decision:
Financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force
The General Assembly, in accordance with the framework set out in its resolution 48/227 of 23 December 1993, having considered the report of the Secretary-General on the financing of seventeen peace-keeping operations
/ and the related reports of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions,
/ and concurring with the observations of the Advisory Committee:
) Decides, on an exceptional basis, to authorize the Secretary-General to enter into commitments up to the amount of 10,720,000 United States dollars gross (10,396,000 dollars net) for the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force for the period from 1 December 1993 to 31 March 1994;
) Decides also that no assessment on Member States will be necessary in the light of the current cash balance in the special account for the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force.