Question of Palestine home
4 April 1994
Agenda item 130 (a)
FINANCING OF THE UNITED NATIONS PEACE-KEEPING FORCES IN THE
MIDDLE EAST: UNITED NATIONS DISENGAGEMENT OBSERVER FORCE
Report of the Fifth Committee (Part II
: Mr. Mahbub KABIR (Bangladesh)
1. The previous recommendations made by the Fifth Committee to the General Assembly under agenda item 130 (a) appear in the report of the Committee contained in document A/48/812.
2. At its 54th and 60th meetings, on 23 and 31 March 1994, the Fifth Committee considered the item entitled "Financing of the United Nations Peace-keeping Forces in the Middle East: United Nations Disengagement Observer Force". Statements and observations made in the course of the Committee's consideration of the item are reflected in the relevant summary records (A/C.5/48/SR.54 and 60).
II. CONSIDERATION OF A DRAFT DECISION PRESENTED ORALLY BY THE RAPPORTEUR
3. At the 60th meeting, on 31 March, the Rapporteur of the Fifth Committee, on the basis of informal consultations, orally presented a draft decision entitled "Financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force".
4. At the same meeting, the Committee adopted without a vote the draft decision presented orally by the Rapporteur (see para. 5).
III. RECOMMENDATION OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE
5. The Fifth Committee recommends to the General Assembly the adoption of the following draft decision:
Financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force
The General Assembly
(a) Recalls its decision 48/463 of 23 December 1993 on the financing of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force;
(b) Decides, on an exceptional basis, to authorize the Secretary-General to enter into commitments for the maintenance of the Force for the period from 1 April to 31 May 1994 in an amount of 5,360,000 United States dollars gross (5,198,000 dollars net) based on the
share of the amount recommended by the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions.