Question of Palestine home
World Health Organization (WHO)
23 March 2008
Health Action in Crises: Highlights No. 200 – 17 to 23 March 2008
Each week, the World Health Organization Department for Health Action in Crises in Geneva produces information highlights on the health aspects of selected humanitarian crises. Drawing on the various WHO programmes, contributions cover activities from field and country offices and the support provided by WHO regional offices and Headquarters. The mandate of the WHO Departments specifically concerned with Emergency and Humanitarian Action in Crises is to increase the effectiveness of the WHO contribution to crisis preparedness and response, transition and recovery. This note, which is not exhaustive, is designed for internal use and does not reflect any official position of the WHO Secretariat.
OCCUPIED PALESTINIAN TERRITORY
Assessments and Events
• The MoH hospitals have resumed their normal activities after the state of emergency was suspended on 9 March.
• Between 1 and 10 March, 231 patients were evacuated through Rafah. More should be evacuated in the coming future.
• WHO is coordinating with UNRWA, UNICEF and OCHA the preparation of a new health contingency plan for Gaza.
• WHO is working with the authorities on avian and pandemic influenza preparedness and response: the focus is on improving the capacity to detect and monitor human cases and on putting in place the means to contain any outbreak that should manifest itself.
• Recent WHO’s emergency activities have been supported by ECHO, Italy, Norway, OCHA/Spain, and the CERF. A pledge from Norway for 5 million NK has been received in response to the CAP 2008.