Question of Palestine home
6 December 1994
Agenda item 116 (a)
FINANCING OF THE UNITED NATIONS PEACE-KEEPING FORCES IN THE
MIDDLE EAST: UNITED NATIONS DISENGAGEMENT OBSERVER FORCE
Report of the Fifth Committee
: Mr. Larbi DJACTA (Algeria)
1. At its 3rd plenary meeting, on 23 September 1994, the General Assembly, on the recommendation of the General Committee decided to include in the agenda of its forty-ninth session the item entitled "Financing of the United Nations peace-keeping forces in the Middle East: United Nations Disengagement Observer Force" and to allocate it to the Fifth Committee
2. At the 29th meeting of the Fifth Committee, on 5 December 1994, the Chairman proposed, on an exceptional basis, to begin consideration of this agenda item.
3. Statements and observations made in the course of the Committee's consideration of this item are reflected in the relevant summary record (A/C.5/49/SR.29).
II. CONSIDERATION OF A DRAFT DECISION PRESENTED ORALLY BY THE CHAIRMAN
4. At the 29th meeting, on 5 December, the Controller made a statement regarding the need for financial authority for the operation of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force beyond 30 November 1994, pending the review of the reports of the Secretary-General
/ and of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions
/ on the financing of the Observer Force.
5. At the same meeting, on the oral proposal of the Chairman, the Fifth Committee decided to recommend to the General Assembly that a commitment authority in the amount of 2,678,000 United States dollars gross (2,594,000 dollars net) for the period from 1 to 31 December 1994 be provided to the Secretary-General for the maintenance of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (see para. 6).
III. RECOMMENDATION OF THE FIFTH COMMITTEE
6. The Fifth Committee recommends to the General Assembly the adoption of the following draft decision:
Financing of the United Nations peace-keeping forces in the
Middle East: United Nations Disengagement Observer Force
The General Assembly decides to authorize the Secretary-General to enter into commitments for the operation of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force for the period from 1 to 31 December 1994 in the amount of 2,678,000 United States dollars gross (2,594,000 dollars net).
/ To be issued.