Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
The Chief of Staff of UNTSO has submitted the following report on developments in the Israel-Lebanon sector during the period 6 to 12 January 1975:
1. Activity in the sector remained at a low level prior to 11 and 12 January, when increased artillery and mortar fire were observe.d in the Arkoub area south of the Hasbaiya region.
2. Israel forces personnel continued to occupy during daylight hours four positions on the Lebanese side of the armistice demarcation line (ADL) near border pillars 11 (AMR 1799-2788), 1/ 18 (AMR 1880-2740), 19 (AMR 1907-2749) and, except on 12 January, 33 (AMR 2004-2904.)
3. There were 19 cases of firing across the ADL. These were reported as follows:
(a) OP Lab (AMR 1643-2772), south of the village of Labouna, reported mortar fire on 6 January and machine-gun fire on 6 and 7 January, all by Israel forces.
(b) OP Hin (AMR 1770-2790), east of the village of Marouahine, reported mortar and machine-gun fire and flares by Israel forces on 9 January.
(c) OP Khiam (AMR 2071-3025), south of the village of El Khiam, reported mortar fire on 11 January and artillery fire on 11 and 12 January, all by Israel forces.
4. There were five overflights reported during the period. Overflights by Israel forces jet aircraft were reported on 7 January (two overflights) and on 8, 9 and 10 January (one each day).
5. The Lebanese authorities submitted 25 complaints during the period under review as follows:
(a) Eight complaints were submitted alleging that Israel forces fire had fallen on Lebanese territory. Four of these complaints were confirmed by United Nations observation, except for damage.
(b) Four complaints concerned Israel forces jet aircraft overflights. Three of these complaints were confirmed.
(c) Four complaints concerned Israel forces light aircraft or helicopter overflights. None of these complaints was confirmed.
(d) Two complaints were submitted alleging that Israel forces naval vessels had penetrated Lebanese territorial waters on 7 and 9 January. The complaints were not confirmed owing to darkness.
(e) Seven complaints were submitted alleging that Israel forces patrols had daily penetrated Lebanese territory in the region of Chebaa (AMR 2200-3055) and Rmaich (AMR 1847-2760). Penetration in the Chebaa area was confirmed for two of the complaints. The remaining complaints were not confirmed; the locations of the alleged incidents were outside United Nations observation range.
1/ AMR - approximate map reference.