Adopted by the extraordinary expanded meeting of the OIC executive committee at the level of foreign ministers
Headquarters of the General Secretariat
Jeddah — Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saturday 27 Shawwal 1427h
(18 November 2006)
The Extraordinary Expanded Foreign Ministers’ Meeting of the Executive Committee of the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) meeting on Saturday 27 Shawwal 1427H (18 November 2006) at the Headquarters of the OIC General Secretariat in Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia;
Proceeding from the principles and objectives enshrined in the Charter of the Organization of the Islamic Conference and referring to the resolutions of the Organization of the Islamic Conference on the cause of Palestine and Al-Quds Al-Sharif;
Recalling the Resolution on Palestine adopted by the Extraordinary Expanded Summit Meeting of the OIC Executive Committee held in Putrajaya on 3 August 2006;
Having considered the Report of the OIC Secretary-General on the grave Situation in Palestine and having listened to H.E. the Head of the Palestinian Delegation as well as the interventions of Their Excellencies the Ministers and Heads of Delegations;
Hailing the steadfastness of the Palestinian people in the face of the Israeli aggression and reaffirming its support for their just struggle to regain their inalienable national rights, including their right to self determination and to the establishment of their independent Palestinian State, with Al-Quds as its capital, over the entire Palestinian territories, as well as their right to a just solution to the issue of the Palestinian refugees based on UNGA Resolution No. 194;
Expressing its backing and support of the resolutions adopted by the Meeting of the Foreign Ministers of Arab States, which was held in Cairo on 12 November 2006;
1. Condemns Israel for perpetrating the Beit Hanoun Massacre and its persistent crimes against the Palestinian people as war crimes and crimes against humanity and expresses its deep concern at the sharply deteriorating conditions in the occupied Palestinian territories, including Al-Quds, as a result of the relentless Israeli assaults by the Israeli occupation forces, which has killed and wounded hundreds of Palestinian civilians, including women and children. It holds Israel and its leaders responsible in their personal and legal capacity for the consequences of these crimes and reaffirms the need to bring them to trial and prosecute them as war criminals;
2. Expresses its strong denunciation of the use of the veto by the United States to block the draft resolution on the Beit Hanoun Massacre, which has been presented by Qatar on behalf of the Arab Group. This casts serious doubt on the effectiveness of the American role; defeats the role of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) in the preservation of international peace and security; and encourages Israel to persist in its aggression;
3. Welcomes the United Nations General Assembly resolution which condemned Israel, the occupying power, by an overwhelming majority for its perpetration of the Beit Hanoun Massacre, which is an indication of the international community’s position rejecting Israeli practices in the occupied Palestinian territories; and calls for the urgent implementation of the resolution, including dispatching a mission to investigate the Beit Hanoun Massacre and to present its report to the UN Secretary General within thirty days;
4. Supports and welcomes Resolution No. 1/3-S adopted by the United Nations Human Rights Council held on 15/11/2006 upon the request of the Islamic Group in Geneva, and calls for accelerating the implementation of its provisions, particularly with regard to the urgent dispatching of a high-level international fact-finding mission to investigate the Beit Hanoun Massacre and other Israeli crimes and violations in the occupied Palestinian territories.
5. Strongly calls for the responsible Israeli officials to be prosecuted as war criminals, as applicable under the Fourth Geneva Convention for the grave situation arising out of the human rights violations perpetrated by Israel in occupied Palestinian territories;
6. Requests the Security Council to shoulder its responsibility and take practical measures to compel Israel to withdraw its forces from all occupied Palestinian territories, to end its aggression, to provide protection for the Palestinian people and to find a just and lasting solution to the Arab-Israeli conflict;
7. Urges the Member States and the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) and private financial institutions to reconstruct the destruction caused to Beit Hanun and the northern Gaza Strip by the Israeli aggression and to provide medical treatment for the wounded and other victims of this aggression.
8. Requests the OIC Secretary-General to convene a meeting of the humanitarian organizations ands civil society institutions of the Member States in order to develop a joint programme to provide urgent humanitarian assistance to the victims of the Israeli assaults among the population of Beit Hanoun and the northern Gaza Strip.
9. Calls for the convening of a meeting of the High Contracting Parties to the 1949 Fourth Geneva Convention on the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War in order to examine the continuing violations and crimes perpetrated by Israel in the occupied Palestinian territories, including Al-Quds Al-Sharif, and to take adequate measures to compel Israel, the occupying power, to assume its responsibilities and respect its obligations under the Geneva Conventions.
10. Decides to break the embargo imposed on the Palestinian people and action of the international community in order to end this blockade and compel Israel to release the tax revenues due to the Palestinian National Authority (PNA);
11. Calls for the immediate release of the Speaker and members of the Palestinian Legislative Council, ministers and leadership and other prisoners in the prisons of the Israeli occupation;
12. Calls for the convening of an International Peace Conference in the Middle East aimed at finding a just and comprehensive solution to the conflict in the region on all tracks; guaranteeing the inalienable national rights of the Palestinian people, including their right to the establishment of their independent State, with Al-Quds Al-Sharif as its capital; and achieving security and stability for all the countries and peoples of the region and the whole world on the basis of the relevant resolutions of international legitimacy, the principle of land for peace, and the Arab Peace Initiative. It requests the Secretary-General to ensure an active role for the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) in realizing the convening of this Conference.
13. Welcomes the efforts of the Palestinian leadership aimed at achieving national cohesion and calls on them to accelerate the formation of a national unity government.
14. Calls for the effective implementation of the OIC Summit and ICFM resolutions regarding the boycott of Israeli companies;
15. Mandates the Secretary-General, in collaboration with the Chair of the Islamic Summit Conference (ISC), the Chair of the Islamic Conference of Foreign Ministers (ICFM), Palestine and interested Member States of the Executive Committee, to take the necessary measures to implement the provisions of this communiqué.
16. Decides to review the status of implementation of this Communiqué and at subsequent meetings of the Executive Committee as well as the next ICFM in Islamabad.