Question of Palestine home
23 October 2000
COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS
Fifth special session
17-19 October 2000
Agenda item 4
REPORT TO THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COUNCIL ON
THE FIFTH SPECIAL SESSION OF THE COMMISSION
DRAFT REPORT OF THE COMMISSION
: Ms. Marie GERVAIS-VIDRICAIRE
IV. LETTER DATED 3 OCTOBER 2000 FROM THE PERMANENT REPRESENTATIVE OF ALGERIA TO THE UNITED NATIONS OFFICE AT GENEVA ADDRESSED TO THE UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS (
Grave and massive violations of the human rights of the Palestinian people by Israel
1. At the 5th meeting, on 19 October 2000, the representative of Tunisia introduced draft resolution
, sponsored by Algeria, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Brunei Darussalam, China, Cuba, Egypt, Indonesia, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Somalia, the Sudan, Tunisia, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
2. At the request of the representative of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, supported by the representatives of Tunisia and Venezuela, the Chairperson suspended consideration of the draft resolution.
3. At the 6th meeting, on 19 October 2000, the Commission resumed consideration of draft resolution
4. Statements in connection with the draft resolution were made by the representatives of Pakistan (on behalf of the Organization of the Islamic Conference) and Tunisia.
5. In accordance with rule 28 of the rules of procedure of the functional commissions of the Economic and Social Council, the attention of the Commission was drawn to the estimated administrative and programme budget implications of the draft resolution. 7. At the request of the representative of the United States of America, a roll-call vote was taken on the draft resolution, which was adopted by 19 votes to 16, with 17 abstentions. The voting was as follows:
: Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Cuba, India, Indonesia, Madagascar, Mauritius, Morocco, Niger, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Senegal, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Tunisia, Venezuela.
: Canada, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Guatemala, Italy, japan, Latvia, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America.
: Argentina, Botswana, Brazil, Burundi, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, Peru, Republic of Korea, Republic of the Congo, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Zambia.
8. Statements in explanation of vote after the vote were made by the representatives of Argentina, Burundi, Canada, Chile, France (on behalf of the European Union; the Czech Republic, Latvia, Poland and Romania aligned themselves with the statement), Guatemala, India, Japan, Nepal, Norway, Mauritius, the Republic of the Congo and the United States of America.
9. After the adoption of the draft resolution, statements in connection with the draft resolution were made by the observers for Israel and Palestine.
10. For the text of the resolution as adopted, see chapter II, resolution 2000/S-5/1.
* The present document contains the conclusion of chapter IV, providing details of the action taken on the draft proposal submitted under agenda item 3.