Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
1. At 1 a.m. (Beirut local time), Wednesday 21 February 1973, Israeli terrorists armed bands landed at Badawi, north of Tripoli (northern Lebanon). They attacked a Palestinian refugee camp and blew up several houses.
2. At 2 a.m. of the same day, similar terrorists armed bands also landed further north between Alabdeh and Nahr Al Bared (northern Lebanon). They also attacked there a Palestinian refugee camp and blew up several houses.
3. It was established that these terrorists groups belonged to the Israeli armed forces. They were landed on the shores near Badawi and Alabdeh from naval crafts and were later withdrawn by Israeli helicopters.
4. Preliminary reports indicate that as a result of those criminal attacks 17 persons were killed and 10 injured in the refugee camp of Nahr Al Bared, and 13 killed and 10 injured in the camp of Al Badawi. Search operations are still proceeding among the rubble for possible other victims.
5. At the Nahr Al Bared refugee camp, five houses were destroyed, one of which is a building of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees. Four other houses were destroyed at the Badawi camp, including a workshop belonging to the families of the victims. Several cars were also destroyed.
These terrorists operations are provoking a strong wave of indignation in Lebanon and in the world against their Israeli perpetrators. These naked acts of aggression were unprovoked, unjustified and directed against civilian areas situated in northern Lebanon, about 115 miles away from the Lebanese/Israeli armistice line. They were aimed at defenceless camps for the Palestinian refugees. Innocent people fell victim to these operations, which were ordered, prepared and executed in cold blood. These operations fit into the declared Israeli policy to hit without even the faintest pretext at the Palestinian people wherever they may be. This avowed policy of extermination has been condemned by the whole civilized world.
The Lebanese Government strongly Protests against these barbaric acts carried out by Israeli armed forces under direct government orders in violation of the Charter of the United Nations, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Lebanese/Israeli Armistice Agreement. They further constitute a flagrant violation of the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Lebanon in contravention of international law and morality.
The repeated and uncurbed Israeli acts of aggression are a shameful show of military arrogance intended to intimidate and terrorize the Arab people. They also reveal the established Israeli policy to create unsettled conditions which constantly endanger the peace and the security of Lebanon and the other Arab States.
I request, Excellency, that this letter be circulated as an official document of the Security Council.