Protection of Civilians Weekly Report
30 April – 6 May 2008
· The IDF shot and killed a Palestinian man at Shani checkpoint, claiming that he had atempted to stab a soldier (Hebron). The IDF also physically assaulted a Palestinian man at ‘Azzun ‘Atma barrier checkpoint (Qalqiliya).
· Six Palestinians and two international activists were injured by Israeli setlers in four reported incidents throughout the West Bank.
· On 30 April, 396 Palestinian security officers were deployed in Jenin governorate. During the week, four Palestinians (including one bystander) were injured in clashes with these forces in Qabatiya town (Jenin).
· The IDF imposed a general closure on the West Bank due to Holocaust Memorial Day, denying Palestinian permit holders access to East Jerusalem and Israel, except for emergency medical cases and employees at international organizations.
· The IDF closed the sewing workshop affiliated with the Islamic Charitable Society for a period of three years and confiscated its contents (sewing machines, textiles, ironing boards). While the closure and confiscation order issued in late February stipulated that the contents of targeted establishments would become owned by the IDF, the IDF threw away the workshop’s contents in the city dump. As a result of the closure of the workshop, part of whose products were freely distributed to the orphanages owned by the Society, 15 female workers lost their jobs (Hebron).
· 123 IDF search operations and 123 arrests/detentions of Palestinians were reported; this is, respectively, 14% and 98% higher than searches and arrests reported last week.