Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
DRAFT REPORT OF THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL ON ITS EIGHTH SESSION*
Vice-President and Rapporteur: Mr. Alejandro Artucio (Uruguay)
*Resolutions, decisions and President’s statements adopted by the Council at its eighth session are contained in document A/HRC/8/L.11. Delegations are invited to forward any comments or corrections to the Rapporteur, through the Secretariat of the Council, by 10 July 2008. The comments or corrections should be sent to the fax number: 022 917 90 11.
305. At the 23rd meeting, on 16 June 2008, the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied since 1967, Richard Falk, presented the report of the previous mandate-holder (A/HRC/7/17).
306. The representatives of Israel and Palestine made statements, as the concerned countries.
307. During the ensuing interactive dialogue, at the same meeting, the following made statements:
(a) Representatives of States members of the Council: Brazil, China, Cuba, Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan (on behalf of the Organization of the Islamic Conference), Slovenia (on behalf of the European Union), South Africa, Sri Lanka, Switzerland;
(b) Observers for non-governmental organizations: B’nai B’rith International (also on behalf of the Coordinating Board of Jewish Organizations), International Commission of Jurists, United Nations Watch, Union of Arab Jurists (also on behalf of the Arab Lawyers Union, the General Arab Federation, the International Association of Democratic Lawyers, International Educational Development, Inc. and the International Organization for the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination).
308. At the same meeting, the Special Rapporteur answered questions and made his concluding remarks.
310. The representatives for Israel, Palestine and the Syrian Arab Republic made statements, as concerned countries.
311. During the ensuing general debate, at the 23rd and 24th meetings, on the same day, the following made statements:
(a) Representatives of States members of the Council: Cuba (on behalf of the Non-Aligned Movement), Egypt (also on behalf of the Group of African States), Indonesia, Japan, Jordan, Malaysia, Pakistan (on behalf of the Organization of the Islamic Conference), Qatar (on behalf of the Group of Arab States), Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Slovenia (on behalf of the European Union), Sri Lanka;
(b) Observers for the following States: Algeria, Bahrain, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Iraq, Kuwait, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Morocco, New Zealand, Thailand, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen;
(c) Observers for the following non-governmental organizations: Association for World Education (also on behalf of the World Union for Progressive Judaism), International Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists, Indian Movement Tupaj Amaru (also on behalf of the World Peace Council), Nord-Sud XXI, United Nations Watch.
312. At the 24th meeting, a statement in exercise of the right of reply was made by the representative of Israel.