Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
The Chief of Staff of UNTSO has submitted the following report on developments in the Israel-Lebanon sector during May 1976.
1. Activity remained at a low level during the period.
2. Israel forces personnel continued to occupy daily, during daylight hours, five positions on the Lebanese side of the armistice demarcation line (ADL) near border pillars 11 (AMR 1799-2788), 1/ l4 (AMR 1838-2740 (except on 6, 10, 13-15, 18, 19, 22 and 27 May), 18 (AMR 1880-2740) (except on 20 and 27 May), 19 (AMR 1907-2749) (except on 20 and 27 May) and 33 (AMR 2004-2904).
3. There were 18 cases of firing across the ADL or across the line between Lebanon and Israel-occupied Syrian territory. The incidents were reported as follows:
(a) OP Lab (AMR 1643-2772), south of the village of Labouna, reported mortar fire on 7, 15 and 16 May, automatic-weapons fire on 7, 10 and 13 May and small-arms fire on 7 May, all by Israel forces.
(b) OP Hin (AMR 1770-2790), east of the village of Marouahine, reported automatic-weapons fire on 17, 25, 26 and 29 May and small-arms fire on 22 May, all by Israel forces.
(c) OP Khiam (AMR 2071-3025), south of the village of El Khiam, reported artillery fire by Israel forces on 15 May.
4. There were 18 overflights reported during the period. Overflights by Israel forces jet aircraft were reported on 1, 5, 9, 24, 25, 29, 30 and 31 May (one each day), and on 30 April, 3, 7, 16 and 23 May (two each day).
5. The Lebanese authorities submitted eleven complaints during the period under review as follows:
(a) Seven complaints concerned Israel forces jet aircraft overflights on 2, 9, 11, 16, 17, 20 and 25 May. The complaints were not confirmed.
(b) Three complaints were submitted alleging that Israel forces naval vessels penetrated Lebanese territorial waters on 9, 5, 14 and 17 May. The complaints were not confirmed.
(c) One complaint was submitted alleging that Israel forces penetrated Lebanese territory on 13 May in the village of Meis Ej Jabal (AMR 1991-2862). The complaint was not confirmed.
1/ AMR - approximate map reference.