|13-07-2006 ICRC News 02/06 |
ICRC Bulletin No. 02/06 - Gaza
Latest report on ICRC activities in the field
- The number of casualties continues to increase.
- In one single incident, nine members of the same family – seven children and their parents – were killed in an air strike in Gaza city.
- As a result of the military operations, a number of water distribution pipes have been destroyed.
- Karni crossing was reopened for humanitarian aid convoys only.
- In Egypt, the humanitarian situation of the Palestinians stranded on the Rafah border continues to deteriorate. Two more people are reported to have died. The total number of deaths among those who cannot come back to Gaza stands now at five. Meanwhile, the body of a 15 year old boy who died on Monday was transferred in the Gaza Strip.
- On 11 July, the ICRC visited 33 detained senior officials of the Palestinian Authority, including eight ministers and several members of the Palestinian Legislative Council. They are held at Ayalon Prison. The ICRC transmitted messages with family news and delivered some assistance to the detainees. The ICRC will repeat its visits these persons on a regular basis, in order to monitor their conditions of detention and treatment. It will not communicate publicly on its observations, but true to its practice, it will report any problems observed to the detaining authorities directly and confidentailly.
- Three ambulances were processed through Erez cross point and handed over to the Palestine Red Crescent Society.
- 110 food parcels, 54 hygienic kits and 23 jerry cans were distributed to isolated and displaced families south of the Gaza Strip (in Al-Shoka and Rafah)
- An ICRC team visited one of the wounded survivors of the attack on the house destroyed by an air strike in Gaza city as well as the site where the tragic incident took place, in order to document the case.
For further information, please contact :
Dorothea Krimitsas, ICRC Geneva, tel + 41 22 730 25 90 or mobile + 41 79 251 93 18
Nada Doumani, ICRC Gaza (temporary as from 6.7.06), tel. + 970 59 9 60 44 91
Caspar Landolt, ICRC Jerusalem, tel +972 2 582 88 45 or +972 57 773 52 35
Bana Sayeh, ICRC Jerusalem, tel +972 2 582 88 45 or +972 57 880 91 93
Yael Eytan, ICRC Tel Aviv, tel +972 35 24 52 86 or +972 52 275 7517