NGO ACTION NEWS
· The UN Department of Public Information is working with the Department of International Relations and Cooperation of South Africa to organize the 2016 International Media Seminar on Peace in the Middle East, which will be held in Pretoria from 31 August to 2 September. Please follow #UNMediaSeminar. The Seminar is open to the public and NGOs. To attend, please register online.
· From 26 to 28 August, Berth DocHouse, a UK-based documentary centre, in partnership with Medical Aid for Palestinians will be hosting in London a screening of the documentary Ambulance. The screening is followed by a Skype Q&A with director Mohamed Jabaly and hosted by British filmmaker and journalist Jenny Kleeman. Through the documentary, Jabaly, who was given permission to join an ambulance crew, gives a first-person account of the Gaza conflict in the summer of 2014.
· On 13 September, St John of Jerusalem Eye Hospital will be hosting in London a lecture and reception by Palestinian diplomat Affif Saffieh. Saffieh has served as Palestinian ambassador in London, Washington and Moscow.
· On 23 September, Palestinian Solidarity Campaign will be hosting Iyad Burnat’s launch of his new book, Bil’in and the Nonviolent Resistance in London. Burnat is the head of the Bil’in Popular Committee against the Wall, and has led weekly non-violent demonstrations since 2005 against the separation wall.
· On 19 September, Americans United for Palestinian Human Rights will be holding a talk entitled No Way to Treat a Child: Palestinian Children--from Gaza and the West Bank in Portland, Oregon. Jennifer Bing, of the American Friends Service Committee and Brad Parker, of Defence for Children International-Palestine, and other speakers will address how occupation impacts the children in Gaza and the West Bank.
· From 22 to 25 September, the annual Toronto Palestine Film Festival will feature the screenings of the following films by Palestinian directors and/or about Palestine: 3000 Nights, Open Bethlehem; Love, Theft and Other Entanglements, and Dégradé among others. It will also include performances by Palestinian spoken word artist Rafeef Ziadah.
· On 26 August, the heads of UN Agencies in Palestine published a press release and report on the two year anniversary of the 2014 Gaza hostilities, calling for greater flow of material and funding to reverse Gaza’s de-development spiral. A summary infographic of reconstruction progress and remaining needs is also available.
* * *This page may contain links to third-party Web sites. The linked sites are not under the control of the United Nations and the United Nations is not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. The United Nations provides these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of a link or reference does not imply endorsement of the linked site by the United Nations. This newsletter is a project of the Division for Palestinian Rights, and is intended to provide information on NGO activities relevant to the question of Palestine . NGOs interested in contributing information on their activities should communicate it by Email The Division reserves the right to make the final selection with regard to material to be included in this newsletter. It cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information.