NGO ACTION NEWS
· Amnesty International said in a press release in response to the conviction of Elor Azaria, an Israeli soldier who had shot dead a wounded Palestinian involved in a March 2016 Hebron knife attack, that the conviction offered a “glimmer of hope amid the rampant impunity for unlawful killings in the Occupied Palestinian Territories”.
· On 2 January 2017, Addameer, Al Mezan Centre for Human Rights and the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society estimated the number of Palestinians arrested by Israeli forces in 2016 at 6,440 including 1332 minors and 164 women. According to the organizations, the statistics collected suggest that youth and former prisoners were particularly vulnerable to arrest, especially in Jerusalem.
· Al Mezan Centre for Human Rights has reiterated its support for UN Security Council Resolution 2334 (2016) on settlements and called on the international community to take prompt steps to, inter alia, lift the Israeli blockade imposed on the Gaza Strip and end the Israeli occupation.
· The Geneva Initiative welcomed US Secretary of State Kerry’s 28 December 2016 speech on Israel and Palestine, stating that together with UN Security Council Resolution 2334 (2016), the international community had not only accurately identified barriers to peace but also pointed to solutions.
· In response to Secretary of State Kerry’s recent speech, the London-based Palestinian Return Centre (PRC) issued a press release claiming that Secretary Kerry's vision "poses a danger to Palestinian rights, particularly the right of return of refugees".
· On 24 December, the UK-based Palestine Solidarity Campaign welcomed Security Council Resolution 2334 (2016), calling for a ban on the importation of settlement products and a stronger set of guidelines to businesses and banks to ensure they have no trading, financial or investment links with Israeli settlements.
* * *This page may contain links to third-party Web sites. The linked sites are not under the control of the United Nations and the United Nations is not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. The United Nations provides these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of a link or reference does not imply endorsement of the linked site by the United Nations. This newsletter is a project of the Division for Palestinian Rights, and is intended to provide information on NGO activities relevant to the question of Palestine . NGOs interested in contributing information on their activities should communicate it by Email The Division reserves the right to make the final selection with regard to material to be included in this newsletter. It cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information.