NGO ACTION NEWS
· Oxfam International is implementing a new EU-funded project “Strength Humanitarian and Protection Assistance for Vulnerable Populations in the Gaza Strip”, which will address the needs of female-headed households and large families without regular incomes in the Gaza Strip.
· On 20 September, four Palestinian human rights organizations (Aldameer, Al Haq, Al Mezan and PCHR) jointly submitted their fourth substantive communication to the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC), providing evidence on crimes allegedly committed in the West Bank including East Jerusalem, and requesting that a full investigation into the situation in the OPT be urgently opened in order to end the culture of impunity and secure peace in the region.
· Following the workshop “Legal Review of 2017 Electronic Crimes Law in light of International Standards on Freedom of Expression”, attended by members of the Palestinian Legislative Council (PLC), journalists, academics and civil society representatives, the Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR) issued on 20 September a position paper on the topic with recommendations.
· On 19 September, Addamer reported the renewal of the Israeli administrative detention order against French-Palestinian human rights defender Salah Hamouri for a period of six months. The NGO issued a call for action, asking EU citizens to raise with Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) the issue of administrative detention by Israel.
· On 18 September, the Geneva Initiative, in partnership with the Konrad Adenauer Foundation, hosted in Jerusalem the conference “Lessons from Other Conflicts” with the participation of former Israeli Minister of Justice Yossi Beilin and experts on the conflicts in Northern Ireland and Cyprus.
· To mark the International Day of Peace, Gush Shalom organized on 16 September a march in solidarity with the West Bank village of Wallajeh, calling for bridges rather than walls and protesting house demolitions and the annexation of land.
· On 14 September, B’Tselem reported that the Israeli authorities had signalled their intent to move forward with plans to forcibly transfer the entire community of Khan al-Ahmar, east of Jerusalem.
· A joint submission by the Women’s Center for Legal Aid and Counselling (WCLAC) and three other Palestinian NGOs for the Universal Period Review (UPR) of Israel in January 2018, which focuses on the specific impact of the occupation on women under the title “Palestinian Women under Prolonged Israeli Occupation”, is available online.
· In a webinar organized by Churches for Middle East Peace (CMEP), President of the Foundation for Middle East Peace (FMEP) Lara Friedman has a conversation with CMEP Executive Director Mae Cannon, in which she criticizes the Israel Anti-Boycott Act introduced in the US Congress in March.
· The UK-based Palestinian Return Centre, in cooperation with the Al Jazeera Centre for Studies, has issued new publications on the impact of World War I on Palestine, Palestinian refugees in the Arab World, Palestinian IDPs inside Israel and the Nakba.
· The theme of the International Day of Peace, marked around the world on 21 September, this year is “Together for Peace: Respect, Safety and Dignity for All” and focuses on engaging and mobilizing people throughout the world to show support for refugees and migrants.
· In relation to the crisis in the Gaza Strip, OCHA posted on 20 September a chart featuring an overview of early warning indicators for the month of August 2017.
* * *This page may contain links to third-party Web sites. The linked sites are not under the control of the United Nations and the United Nations is not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. The United Nations provides these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of a link or reference does not imply endorsement of the linked site by the United Nations. This newsletter is a project of the Division for Palestinian Rights, and is intended to provide information on NGO activities relevant to the question of Palestine . NGOs interested in contributing information on their activities should communicate it by Email The Division reserves the right to make the final selection with regard to material to be included in this newsletter. It cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information.