NGO ACTION NEWS
· The international Open Bethlehem campaign is facilitating local screenings of the documentary by the same name, directed by Leila Sansour.
· From 4 to 13 February 2017, the East Jerusalem YMCA/YMCA Palestine Joint Advocacy Initiative is organizing its 10th Annual Olive Planting Programme.
· The documentary “Dreams behind the Wall” (Spain, 2015), featuring life in the West Bank and Gaza through the eyes of two children, has been nominated for an award at the Baghdad International Film Festival (1 to 5 December).
· Machsom Watch, an Israeli women’s organization monitoring IDF checkpoints on a daily basis, is conducting West Bank tours on 17 November, 12 December and 4 January in English; and on 19 November and 30 November and 24 December in Hebrew.
· On 31 October, Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association informed that the Israeli Military Court of Appeals had rejected its appeal against extending the detention of activist Salah Khawaja, a member of the Coordination Committee of the Popular Campaign against the Wall and Settlements and the Secretariat of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) National Committee.
· On 31 October, Addameer launched a new campaign against the use of administrative detention with a video entitled “Life on Hold – The Policy of Administrative Detention.”
· While stressing EU opposition to any boycott of Israel, High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Mogherini said in response to a parliamentary question: “The EU stands firm in protecting freedom of expression and freedom of association…including with regard to BDS actions carried out on this territory”.
· On 20 October, BADIL and Al Mezan hosted a discussion at the European Parliament in Brussels on the need to ensure accountability for human rights violations, focusing on settlement businesses and policies causing the displacement of Palestinians. Al Mezan called on EU Member States to fulfil their third-party obligations under the Fourth Geneva Convention.
· On 3 and 4 December, the 14th Annual Palestinian Crafts Bazar will be organized in Berkeley, sponsored by the Middle East Children’s Alliance (MECA).
· On 15 November, The Jerusalem Fund is hosting in Washington a talk with Dr. Anaheed Al-Hardan, Assistant Professor of Sociology at the American University of Beirut, on her book “Palestinians in Syria: Nakba Memories of Shattered Communities”.
· In partnership with Jewish Voice for Peace and SumOfUs, the US Campaign for Palestinian Rights is currently collecting signatures for a petition urging PayPal to make their services available to all the people of Israel and Palestine. While the company operates in settlements, Palestinians living on the same territory are not allowed to use its services to run a business, the group said.
· In October, Amnesty International USA (AIUSA) launched a new campaign calling on President Obama to prioritize human rights during his last 100 days in office and to stop selling arms to allies in the Middle East including Israel, which had been used to commit human rights violations.
· On 3 November, the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention released opinions on detention cases from 17 countries including that of a Palestinian minor held by Israel under administrative detention. The Working Group concluded that the deprivation of liberty of the minor was of an arbitrary character.
· At the meeting of the Intergovernmental working group on transnational corporations (TNCs) in Geneva (24 to 28 October), mandated by the Human Rights Council to elaborate an international legally binding instrument to regulate the activities of TNCs, Al Haq, Badil and Al Mezan said that States must be required to ensure that TNCs currently contributing to violations of international law, as is the case in Palestine, are held accountable.
* * *This page may contain links to third-party Web sites. The linked sites are not under the control of the United Nations and the United Nations is not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. The United Nations provides these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of a link or reference does not imply endorsement of the linked site by the United Nations. This newsletter is a project of the Division for Palestinian Rights, and is intended to provide information on NGO activities relevant to the question of Palestine . NGOs interested in contributing information on their activities should communicate it by Email The Division reserves the right to make the final selection with regard to material to be included in this newsletter. It cannot take responsibility for the accuracy of the information.