COMMUNICATION RECEIVED FROM THE JEWISH AGENCY
FOR PALESTINE CONCERNING STATEMENT MADE BEFORE THE SECURITY COUNCIL
I hairs the honor to submit for the information of the United Nations Palestine Commission the text of a statement adopted by the Jewish Agency for Palestine and the National Council of the Jews of Palestine (Vaad Leumi).
The Jewish Agency and the Vaad Leumi declare:
1. The Jewish people and the Yichev in Palestine will oppose any proposal designed to prevent or postpone the establishment of the Jewish State.
2. We categorically reject any plan to set up a trusteeship regime for Palestine, even for a short period of time. A trusteeship would necessarily entail a denial of the Jewish right to national independence. It would leave Palestine under a foreign military regime.
3. The failure and disintegration of the Mandatory administration, the continuation of which was unanimously rejected by the United Nations, necessitates the early arrival in Palestine of the United Nations Palestine Commission. The Provisional Council of Government of the Jewish State should be recognized without delay by the United Nations Palestine Commission so that authority any be transferred to it as envisaged in the United Nations decisions.
4. Upon the termination of the Mandatory administration and not later than May 16 next, a provisional Jewish government will commence to function in cooperation with the representatives of the United Nations then in Palestine. In the meantime, we shall do our utmost to minimize the chaos created by the present government, and we shall maintain, so far as lies in our power, the public services neglected by it.
5. The Jewish people extends the hand of peace to the Arab people and invites representatives of the Arab population of the Jewish State to take their rightful place in all its organs of government. The Jewish State will be glad to cooperate with the neighboring Arab States and to enter into permanent treaty relations with them to strengthen world peace and to advance the development of all countries of the Near East.
Document in PDF format