Question of Palestine home
26 July 1993
Agenda item 35
THE SITUATION IN THE MIDDLE EAST
Letter dated 26 July 1993 from the Permanent Representative
of Lebanon to the United Nations addressed to the
On instructions from my Government, I have the honour to inform you of the facts relating to the extensive Israeli attacks on Lebanon and its citizens on 25 and 26 July 1993.
- At 1030 hours on the morning of Sunday, 25 July 1993, six Israeli warplanes bombed the city of Baalbeck and the villages of Janta and Ain al-Tinah.
- At 1040 hours, Israeli helicopters carried out a raid on the town of Siddiqin to the east of Tyre and also on the area to the west of Markaba in the western Bekaa.
- At the same time, Israeli warplanes bombed the Naamah hills to the south of Beirut.
- At 1110 hours, Israeli warplanes carried out a raid on the town of Mashgharah and also on the town of Yohmor in the western Bekaa.
- At 1150 hours, Israeli warplanes carried out a raid on the town of Mlita in Iqlim al-Tuffah.
- At the same time, Israeli aircraft fired missiles and dropped time bombs to the south of the Litani dam, causing large numbers of the inhabitants to flee the area.
- At noon on the same day, the southern towns of Zawtar, Jibshit, Ain Baal, Qana, Adshit, Braashit, Tibnin, Sultaniyah, Jaba' and Kfartibnit came under heavy Israeli bombardment by 155-mm artillery.
- On the afternoon of the same day, 25 July 1993, many missiles fired by Israeli aircraft exploded at scattered intervals in Markaba valley.
- At 1700 hours, Israeli helicopters carried out a raid on the town of Zawtar al-Gharbiyah.
- At 1555 hours, Israeli helicopters bombed the Naamah hills to the south of Beirut; this was followed by Israeli air force raids on the same region.
- At 1630 hours, Israeli aircraft carried out a raid on the town of Zibqin within the region where UNIFIL international forces are deployed.
- At 1640 hours, Israeli helicopters attacked the area surrounding Zawtar al-Sharqiyah and Zawtar al-Gharbiyah. At 1715 hours, they carried out a raid on Nabatiyah al-Fauqa.
- At 1810 hours, Israeli aircraft carried out a raid on the Bass refugee camp to the east of Tyre and the Ain al-Hilwa camp to the east of Sidon.
- At 1825 hours, Israeli helicopters carried out a raid on the towns of Qillaya and Zillaya in the western Bekaa.
- Between 1600 hours and 1715 hours, Israeli helicopters fired 13 missiles at the town of Mashgharah, 8 missiles at the town of Majdel Silm, 3 missiles at the town of Haddatha, 2 missiles at the town of Haris and 2 missiles at the towns of Kafra and Zawtar.
- At 1850 hours, two Israeli helicopters again attacked the Naamah hills.
- At 1903 hours, two Israeli helicopters carried out a raid on the town of Sohmor in the western Bekaa and Markaba valley.
- During the night of 25/26 July 1993, the Israeli raids continued, taking in the towns of Abra to the east of Sidon, Jibshit and Maydun. The towns and villages of Nabatiyah, Siddiqin, Kafra, Jibal al-Batm, Braashit, Tibnin, Yatar, Mashghara and Ain al-Tinah were all subjected to heavy artillery shelling.
- At 2400 hours, Israeli gunboats shelled the Beddawi and al-Barid refugee camps to the north of Tripoli.
- At the same time, Israeli warplanes fired air-to-ground missiles at the Naamah hills.
- At 0015 hours on the morning of 26 July 1993, an Israeli helicopter fired an air-to-ground missile at the town of Ain al-Tinah in the western Bekaa.
- At 1045 hours, the Israeli navy again shelled the Beddawi camp to the north of Tripoli.
- On the same morning, Israeli aircraft also carried out raids in the region surrounding Natatiyah, Iqlim al-Tuffah and Maifadun. At 0655 hours, the town of Habbush was subjected to shelling by 155-mm artillery.
- At 0715 hours, Israeli aircraft bombed Dayr al-Zahrani and the town of al-Sharqiyah-al-Nabatiyah.
- At 0730 hours, Israeli aircraft bombed Jabal al-Ahmar, the town of Faqra and the Naamah hills.
At the same time, an Israeli warship heading northwards was sighted from the shore at Zahrani.
These attacks claimed the lives of over 30 people, mostly civilian women and children, left hundreds wounded and caused extensive damage to property and buildings.
During the last two days, the Israeli occupation authorities issued repeated warnings to the population; these warnings, together with the heavy bombardment, led to the flight of thousands of families from the south to safe areas in the north.
This dangerous escalation comes after a military build-up by Israel over the past few weeks. It constitutes a serious threat to peace in the region and directly jeopardizes the current peace negotiations.
The tragedies occurring in Lebanon are the result of continued Israeli occupation of southern Lebanon and the western Bekaa, which is a brazen infringement of Lebanese sovereignty and territorial integrity and a flagrant violation of the Charter of the United Nations and the principles of international law.
The Lebanese Government again condemns and denounces the aggressive and dangerous escalation of attacks against Lebanon and the security of its citizens and urges the international community, represented by the Security Council, in particular its five permanent members, to take the necessary measures to halt the Israeli aggression by implementing forthwith Security Council resolution 425 (1978), which calls for the withdrawal of Israel from Lebanese territory and the ending of the abnormal situation in southern Lebanon.
I should be grateful if you would have this letter circulated as a document of the General Assembly and of the Security Council.
) Khalil MAKKAWI