SUMMARY RECORD OF THE FIFTEENTH MEETING
held in Shepheard’s Hotel, Cairo,
on 13 February 1949, at 1700 hours
The draft of an aide-memoire to be submitted to the Egyptian Minister for Foreign Affairs at his request was submitted by the Principal Secretary, for the Commission’s consideration. After discussion the draft of the aide-memoire was adopted as follows:
1. Invitation addressed by the General Assembly of the United Nations to the Governments and authorities concerned to achieve a final settlement of all questions outstanding between them — What form does the Egyptian Government consider that these negotiations should take?
2. Measures that the Conciliation Commission could take in order to assist the Governments and authorities concerned to achieve a final settlement of all questions outstanding between
3. All pending territorial questions.
4. Establishment of a permanent international regime for the Jerusalem area which will provide for the maximum local autonomy for distinctive groups consistent with the special status of the Jerusalem area.
5. Conclusion of “arrangements among the Governments and authorities concerned which will facilitate the economic development of the area, including arrangements for access to ports and airfields and the use of transportation and communication facilities”.
6. The refugee question: repatriation, resettlement, economic and social rehabilitation and payment of indemnities in the form of compensations.
The Commission instructed the Principal Secretary to impress on the Minister for Foreign Affairs orally the Commission’s hope that the Egyptian Government would not be vague and evasive in its replies to the questions submitted in the aide-memoire.
Voyage de la Commission au Moyen Orient, projet d'aide-mémoire a l’Egypte – 15e séance du CCNUP - Compte rendu Français