Question of Palestine home
World Health Organization (WHO)
28 October 2007
Health Action in Crises: Highlights No. 180 – 22 to 28 October 2007
Each week, the World Health Organization Department for Health Action in Crises in Geneva produces information highlights on the health aspects of selected humanitarian crises. Drawing on the various WHO programmes, contributions cover activities from field and country offices and the support provided by WHO regional offices and Headquarters. The mandate of the WHO Departments specifically concerned with Emergency and Humanitarian Action in Crises is to increase the effectiveness of the WHO contribution to crisis preparedness and response, transition and recovery. This note, which is not exhaustive, is designed for internal use and does not reflect any official position of the WHO Secretariat.
OCCUPIED PALESTINIAN TERRITORY
Assessments and events:
• Twelve confirmed cases of Leishmaniasis and six cases suspected cases were reported in the Jaba village near Jerusalem.
• WHO and UNFPA donated 11 pallets of drugs to Gaza.
• WHO and OCHA conducted a field visit to Sufa Crossing to assess its suitability to serve as a crossing point for weather-sensitive items.
• The monitoring of district and hospital pharmaceutical stores is continuing.
• WHO met with the MSF physicians in Gaza to brief them on the latest monitoring surveillance system results and to discuss expanding the monitoring of communicable diseases in Gaza.
• MoH and WHo responded to the leishmaniasis outbreak with house to house spraying in the village and providing treatment.
• WHO’s emergency activities are supported by Finland, and the CERF.