Follow UNISPAL Twitter RSS
the Middle East
1. A complaint was received from the Lebanese authorities alleging that on 3 September between 1000 and 1030 hours GMT Israel forces jet aircraft attacked with rockets and bombs the Lebanese coastal towns of El Bourghliye (AMR 1728-3018) 1/ and El Qasmiye (AMR 1738-3038), causing casualties and material damage.
2. At the request of the Lebanese authorities, the Acting Chief of Staff of UNTSO authorized an inquiry which took place on 3 September between 1100 and 1500 hours GMT. Accompanied by a representative of the Senior Lebanese Delegate to the Israel-Lebanon Mixed Armistice Commission, United Nations Military Observers interviewed witnesses and examined the evidence presented to them in the area of the two villages.
3. Witnesses in the area- stated that Israeli jet aircraft attacked on 3 September between approximately 1000 and 1030 hours GMT with bombs and rockets, causing the death of two children, the wounding of eight Lebanese citizens and various material damage. One of these witnesses who was seen to be suffering from wounds stated that these wounds had been caused by the air attack.
4. Military observers saw eleven houses recently destroyed and two other buildings including the UNRWA school recently damaged by blast effects as well as seven dead and five wounded cows and many small animals dead in the area. They also saw over 30 recent bomb craters and many rocket craters and shrapnel from bombs and rockets, and one bomb and one rocket unexploded in the area.
5. In this connexion, it should be mentioned that Outstation Naqpura and OP LAB reported hearing jet sounds from south to north between 1000 and 1002 hours GMT, 28 explosions in the vicinity of Sour (AMR 1690-2970) between 1002 and 1010 hours GMT, and jet sounds from north to south between 1008 and 1012 hours GMT. Aircraft and target identification was not possible due to weather conditions and distance from the. observation points.
6. Based on the results of the inquiry, the complaint is confirmed in so, as an aircraft attack in the area of El Bourghliye and El Qasmiye causing the wounding of one Lebanese and material damage is concerned.
1/ AMR - approximate map reference.