SUMMARY RECORD OF THE SEVENTY-FOURTH MEETING
held in Lausanne on Thursday,
16 June 1949, at 10.30 a.m.
1. The Commission examined the working document drawn up by the Secretariat on the progress of the Commission’s work (document W/15). It was decided that the Secretariat should prepare a record of the proposals made by each party and preferred to in paragraph 4 of that document. It was also decided to invite the Arab delegations to a meeting with the Commission on Saturday, 25 June, in order to ask them to submit to the Commission, fully and in clearly-defined terms, their proposals with regard to territorial questions. After this meeting with the Arab delegations, the Commission would then decide upon the course its work should take.
2. Following upon Dr. Eytan’s letter regarding the authority of the Arab delegations (document IS/22), the Commission requested the Secretariat to prepare, for the meeting to be held on Friday, 24 June, a draft reply which would be based on the Commission’s Second Progress Report to the Secretary-General, the telegram sent by the Commission to the Arab governments inviting them to the Lausanne conversations and the statements made on several occasions by the Arab delegations themselves to the Commission.
3. Reply to Mr. Bulos’ letter (document ORG/18) regarding the status recognised to the Arab Refugee Congress by the Commission.
The Commission reaffirmed its earlier decision that it did not consider it possible to keep Mr. Bulos informed, officially and in writing, of the progress of the negotiations entered into with the government of Israel on the questions he had raised, since that would imply the communication to a private individual of the substance of diplomatic negotiations between the Commission and the Government of Israel. The Commission would, however, continue to authorize the Principal Secretary to keep Mr. Bulos informed verbally of the development of the negotiations which might be entered into by the Commission on the basis of information supplied by him and those dealing with the refugee question in general.
4. Action to be taken following Dr. Eytan’s letter regarding a plebiscite in the Arab part of Palestine (document IS/26)
The Commission decided to communicate this letter to the Arab delegations for their information, after having ensured that Dr. Eytan would have no objection to that procedure. The Commission also decided to postpone until a later meeting a decision on whether or not to proceed to the study requested by Dr. Eytan in his letter.
5. The Commission decided to refer to the General Committee Mr. Bulos’ letter (document ORG/19) regarding separated families, the return of a certain category of refugees and frozen assets.
15 July 1949.
Document in PDF format
Bilan des propositions des parties/Réponse aux lettres des M. Bulos et Dr. Eytan (réunions de Lausanne) – 74e séance de CCNUP – Compte rendu