Question of Palestine home
Economic and Social Council
29 January 1999
COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS
Item 8 of the provisional agenda
QUESTION OF THE VIOLATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS IN THE OCCUPIED
ARAB TERRITORIES, INCLUDING PALESTINE
Written communication submitted by North-South XXI
a non-governmental organization with special consultative status
The Secretary-General has received the following written statement, which is circulated in accordance with Economic and Social Council Resolution 1996/31.
[11 January 1999]
Withdrawal of Israel from the occupied territories
1. The State of Israel has been violating the resolutions of the United Nations for decades without ever having any effective sanction imposed on it, owing to the constant indulgence shown by the western States, for strategic as well as domestic electoral reasons.
2. Despite the many acts of aggression perpetrated against neighbouring States and the military occupation of certain Lebanese or Syrian territories, in flagrant violation of international law, despite continued installations in the occupied territories and East Jerusalem (in violation of the agreements concluded by the Israeli Government itself), no measures have been taken against Israel.
3. While the United Nations, the Arab League and the European Union condemnations remain the official line, heavy sanctions are being imposed on other States and peoples by Israel's very accomplices.
4. This "double-standard" does not do credit to the institutions that adopt it. International law is being shown to be no more than an instrument that serves solely the interests of the most powerful, thereby losing all credibility.
5. The time has come to condemn the perpetual impunity enjoyed by the State of Israel. Affirmation of the rights of the Palestinian people and State is a requirement that accords with all the principles enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations and the covenants and declarations on human rights.
6. Proclamations of human rights and international sanctions mean nothing unless a halt is called to the discriminatory conduct to which the Palestinian people is being subjected.